20 April, 2007

Did you know?

That I love an enchilada
And I eat one every time I go to Mexican Restaurant
Which is startlingly often.
And that they are usually covered in a yummy red sauce with lots of cheese
A Sauce I believed was Mole.

Did you know that traditional Mole sauce is made with Peanuts?
I didn't.

Guess whose enchilada was covered in this deadliest of sauces?

That right,
MINE!

One bite into it and I knew something was wrong.
I thought it was beans, even though I had told the waitress No Beans and given her my BRIGHT PINK HEALTH ALERT CARD that says I AM HIGHLY ALLERGIC TO:
  • PEANUTS
  • BEANS
  • PEAS
  • SOY
A card she didn't really look at. Whoo Hoo!

So after popping some Benadryl, and flagging the waitress down again and asking if there could possibly be beans in the sauce she said "No, No beans, just cocoa and peanut butter"
Great that's so much worse than beans.
So I took another dose of Benadryl to be safe and started chugging back about a pitcher of water. Eventually we left the restaurant, Katie drove me home where my mom was waiting for me. (she must have gone 90miles an hour all the way from Liberty) We sat around for a while and then I tossed up the peanut buttery mole sauce and started to feel better.
I still feel kind of strange, but better.

Lessons learned:
  1. Real Mole contains peanuts so always eat at cheap places who only serve the red stuff and cheese.
  2. Make sure that the wait person READS the entire allergy card and takes it back to chef.
  3. Never think that anything is safe. Even if you have eaten 124,708 enchiladas at roughly 104 different Mexican restaurants with no trouble at all, you never know what the next one holds...it probably holds Peanut Butter.
  4. Also, it's okay to say f*ck when you find out about said peanut butter, even in front of your boss. But that is about the only time.

No comments: