03 July, 2007

I’ve been knitting again.

It’s been months since I’ve picked up the needles with any real interest. But on Saturday I spent about an hour in the fabric store and walked away uninspired and empty handed. So I headed over to Borders and sat down in front of the knitting section finally settling on Fitted Knits by Stefanie Japel. The book is all about simple alteration to make a sweater pattern actually fit. Part of what has kept me away from sweaters is the blocky blandness. I would never buy a sweater that is so square and shapeless, I certainly wouldn’t spend the time and money to knit one. I’m quite pleased with this book. I’ve decided to start with the Two-Tone Ribbed Shrug. It seemed like a good place with start.

I picked up some lime green Cotton Ease Yarn from Lion’s Brand for the main color and charcoal for the accent. A daring choice for me, but one that I am pleased with so far. They yarn is light and easy to work with – a nice change from my generally wool specific knitting. Saturday was a dreary, rainy day and I alternated between napping and knitting. So much so that the entire body and both sleeves are finished. Now I just have to sew up the sleeves (something I loath) and then add the ribbed boarder around the body.

I’ve really enjoyed watching the piece grow. Changing from a shapeless blob to a wearable garment. This also marks my first adult sized garment that isn’t a hat, scarf or gloves. So the motivation to actually finish is pretty strong. Plus I think that I will really wear it. Too bad my fingers hurt so much!

No comments: