- 1 small chuck roast cut into 1 inch cubes (I originally planned to make a pot roast)
- 4 strips of bacon
- 1/2 onion cut into chunks
- Most of a small bag of baby carrots, cut in half
- 4 small yukon gold potatoes cut in 1/4's
- 3 cloves of garlic, pressed and chopped
- Salt & Pepper
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can beef broth
- 1/4 cup small pearl tapioca
Fry up bacon, blot with paper towels and crumble into slow-cooker. In a zip-top bag put a few spoonfuls of flour, salt & pepper and a shake of garlic powder. Then add the beef cubes. Shake them up until the beef is coated, then working in batches brown the beef in the pan of bacon grease. Layer onions, carrots, potatoes, garlic and beef. Pour in the can of crushed tomatoes, the can of beef broth, the tapioca and add a few shakes of Italian seasoning and a little more salt & pepper. Cook on low for 6 hours, then add frozen corn, season to taste and cook for 30 min more.
It's a fairly soupy stew and I served it over wide egg noodles the first day. It would also be good over mashed potatoes or polenta.