10 March, 2010

Recipe: Turkey Burgers

I want to start by fessing up. You may have noticed that Turkey Burgers make the meal plan often - but yesterday was the first time I've actually made them! It seems that about once a week we have one meal that gets kicked out of the rotation for one reason or another, lately it's been the turkey burgers. Probably because they are really best grilled and until this week it has been too cold to grill.

I started with this recipe from Martha Stewart. Then I changed it to fit our tastes and what I had on hand.

IMG_3697
I started with about 1/2 cup shredded swiss cheese, 1lbs ground turkey breast (normally I'd do the plain ground turkey, but I had a coupon), 3 green onions chopped into coins, 2 cloves of garlic chopped up, Honey Dijon Mustard, Salt and Pepper. In the bowl is one hot dog bun crumbled up. I never have bread crumbs on hand, so I just made my own.

IMG_3699
I just mixed all the ingredients together. I don't think I used anywhere near 1/4 cup of mustard, I just made a few squiggles of it over the rest of the mixture.

IMG_3707
Next I made the patties. We have this patty maker that I adore. It makes every burger cook evenly and with turkey burgers it really helps them to keep their shape. This batch made 4 good sized burgers and 3 mini burgers for Greyson

IMG_3715
I tossed them on the grill. I grill pretty much everything on the second rack. Make sure to oil the grates, it makes flipping them later much easier! Each sides get 3-4 min to cook, then the burgers are moved further from the flames for another 10ish min, until they reach 165 degrees.

IMG_3716
I served them with sweet potato fries (from frozen this time, not homemade...) and a spinach salad.

I thought they turned out well. Flavorful and with a good consistency.

No comments: