Only being me, I just used it as a jumping off place and changed it to suit our families tastes and they ingredients we had on hand. So here's what we did.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup whole wheat Saltine crackers ground fine
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup finely grated carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 6 ounces shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 2 slices of bread
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- In a bowl, mix the milk, cracker crumbs, seasoning, pepper, carrots, onions, garlic and eggs.
- Fold the ground turkey and shredded cheese into the mixture
- Place bread on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Top the bread with the turkey mixture and shape into a loaf.
- In a small bowl mix ketchup, barbecue sauce and brown sugar. Top the loaf with mixture.
- Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven or to an internal temperature of 170 degrees.
- Cover with foil and let rest for 5 to 10 min.
It went over well. Greyson in particular loved it! He ate a slice and a half.