06 June, 2010

Recipe: Oatmeal Balls

I got the recipe from another mom on a messages board, but modified it for my little guy!

There are no measurements - It's all done by feel. Maybe next time I'll try to measure...maybe.

  • Quick Cooking Oats
  • Pureed Fruits or Veggies
  • Black-strap Molasses
  • Spices
  • Ground Flax Seed or Baby Oatmeal
Pour the pureed fruits and veggies into a large mixing bowl. I used 1 container of babyfood squash and one of carrots plus about a 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce. Heat in microwave for 45-60 seconds until hot enough to "cook" the oats.

Start spooning in quick cooking oats and stirring until it becomes a sticky paste.

Add about 2 Tbs of molasses and spices. I used a good shake of Pumpkin Pie Spice. At this point I also added a few TBS of ground flax seed.

If it ever feels needed put the bowl back in the microwave for 30 sec to really get the oatmeal cooked. I did this a few times.

Then start rolling the mixture into balls and then rolling in ground flax seed, baby oatmeal or a mixture of both. The mixture will be VERY sticky, but the oatmeal/flax makes it better. I rolled them into tablespoon sized balls, but next time I will make them the size of gumballs, it might be easier for him to eat.

You can serve these raw or bake them for a few min at 350 to firm them up. We like them better baked.


These balls make a great snack and help get some whole grains, omega 3s, iron and some fruits and veggies into my toddler. I'm already thinking about all the variations I can make.

No comments: